Pet Approval and Condo Buying : How to’s
So you are determined to find a place that can accommodate you and Poochie. Sometimes the journey is not always easy – nor simple. However – knowing what to expect and how to go about getting your Poochie approved by the Condo Board is worth knowing before you head out on your search.
A few things to consider regarding Pet Policies:
- All condo boards have some sort of Pet Policy in place. And in most cases where they DO allow pets – it is still with Board Approval.
- Pet height and weight restriction: usually 18-20 pounds and no bigger than 12 inches in height.
- Cats – usually no more than two allowed.
- Birds and other critters still need board approval.
- Usually when a condo is first built – there is no formal board formed to give any direction on a Pet Policy – so many critters can be ’grandfathered’ into a building if the condo board later decides to restrict pets.
- Townhouses – are usually alittle more lax on the pet approval process…most all allow cats and small dogs …with approval.
- Duplexes – you are the master of your own pet policy…no restrictions. Except that you will be living in close quarters to your neighbor – SO you still want to be a responsible pet owner
Procedure for Pet Approval
Take a picture of your furry friend, along with a short description of the type and temperament of dog, and submit it to the person on the condo board that takes care of pet approvals. In most cases this is all done via email. A good idea in this email – is to describe how you care for your pet – and to give reassurance of your responsibility as a pet owner. This can go along way on the good will bandwagon to pet approval.
Exceptions to the Rule:
If for medical reasons , ie. epilepsy, diabetes, etc. you require a certain breed that exceeds the 18lbs 12inch rule – you can, along with a medical note from your doctor, override a pet policy. I had a client – with diabetes – that had a small Shepard – and we got her approval with a note from her doctor.
For the most part pet owners are responsible. It’s the odd ones out that make things difficult for the rest. This is usually the case when a condo board decides to make the building a strictly no pet zone – in the long run of re-saleability – this is not a good thing. For instance – most of the high rises along Victoria Promenade do NOT allow pets. Wow = when you think of the demographic wanting to move into these buildings, have pets. They are either downsizing and want to bring their existing Poochie family member with them – or they are single – widowed – divorced and want a furry friend for comfort and companionship. Pet friendly condos will have the upper hand in resale down the road. Pet owners are a demographic growing in size – builders and condo boards beware!
It’s a lifestyle that’s on the rise….
Looking for a Pet Friendly condo? We can help!
Our furry friend pictured above is currently available for adoption!
Additional “Edmonton Realtor: KENNEDY Real Estate” Articles…
Broker | Owner
Call us today…780-485-3010 and GET SOLD!
Area Specialists | Lifestyle Marketing
REALTORS® : Looking for a great Team environment to grow your business…see our Brokerage Model for info on how to make that happen!