Closet space…or lack there of?
storage!!!Do we ever have
enough?Extra storage space helps attract home buyers–and lets you stay organized while the home is still yours. Howvever, adding storage can be expensive. But it can be done, and for less money than you might think. First things first…..my favorite part……..
DeclutterDo you really NEED all that stuff? Before you decide how much storage you need, decide what you can throw away, sell, or donate. And look on the bright side–if you pitch it now you won’t have to pack and move it later.
Bedroom ClosetsThe standard, builder single rods running from end to end in each closet, with a single shelf above each rod? USELESS! Is the top shelf filled with things you haven’t seen for years? Do you sometimes find items in your coset you forgot you had? Still have the tags on as they were buried behind other things? Start by emptying the closets, one at a time, putting items in four piles:
Keep… that will stay in the closet
Look at the items in the Keep pile. Is it mostly clothes? Shoes? Sweaters? Belts? Ties? Lots more short items than full-length clothing? There are organizational helpers available for every storage need and every budget:
- Increase space for short hang items by installing double rods.
- Install sectional untis–with slots and shelves for shoes, cubbies or drawers for clothes that should be folded, and built-ins for other special items.
- Cheap storage bins or baskets to place above on the lond shelf can hold items you dont need everyday or even season, like bathing suits, scarfs, etc.
Inspect every closet in your home as if you are seeing it for the first time. What will a buyer think when she opens the doors? How can you improve your storage potential?
- Use little totes and bins to help you keep small items under control in a bathroom or linen closet.
- Stackable baskets are a nice addition to a kitchen pantry, and can be used to store all types of items, including food staples.
- I store tupperware bottoms in one bin and the lids in another. I also store all my travel mugs and their lids in a seperate bin all in my pantry for easy access.
- How about the basement? I had the builder install 4 rows of rubbermade wire shelving. This is a great idea as it is cost effective and allows me to put all my boxes up off the floor and label them for my knowledge.
Area Specialists | Lifestyle Marketing
REALTORS® : Looking for a great Team environment to grow your business…see our Brokerage Model for info on how to make that happen!